Monday, December 29, 2008

Obligatory End of Year Rap Wrap


I hate these end of year shits, but I've been slacking the fuck off this festive season and to be honest I couldn't think of anything else that would snap the lazy streak. So here goes (in no order whatsoever):

My man Tek put me on to The Only Colour That Matters Is Green, Pacewon's new record. It's excellent, no attempts at nuance or trend-setting just ridiculously solid raps over intentionally simple, but impactful, production.

Ice Cube Raw Footage was sick. TI's Paper Trail and Luda's Theatre Of The Mind were pretty good.

Nas' Hero was probably my favourite single song of the year, along with Jack In The Box off previously mentioned Cube album.

Q Tip and Devin The Dude both came through with their respective LPs.

Old school joints I only just got put on to this year include:
- Shuggie Otis Inspiration Information
- Terry Callier What Color Is Love

You need to get both of those. Unbelievable late 70s soul.

I continued to write mountains of songs that will get recorded at some point. Who knows, maybe they'll (gasp!) actually get released at some point as well?!?!?!! Not possible, right?

All jokes aside, 2009 will finally bring an end to my half-self-enforced, half-dictated-by-circumstance hiatus.

There was heaps more good shit going on musically in '08 but I can't be fucked running it down in detail for y'all (you were there, you heard it all too). I'm going to get a pint with The Biz.

No comments: