Sunday, March 8, 2009

Whaddaya Hear, Whaddaya Say?

TCM have been running a bunch of old James Cagney movies this month, plus a bio piece on the tough little Mick from Hell's Kitchen (hosted by Michael J. Fox ???), so I thought I'd take some time to run through my favourite Cagney flicks and quotes.

Best Movies:
1. Angels With Dirty Faces
2. The Public Enemy
3. The Time of Your Life
4. White Heat
5. Yankee Doodle Dandy

I've never seen Shake Hands With The Devil (don't think it's been released on DVD yet) but I'm pretty sure I'd love that too.

Best quotes:
1. "Whaddaya Hear, Whaddaya Say?" as Rocky Sullivan in Angels....
2. "Why you dirty no good yella' belly double crosser," as Tom Powers in Public Enemy (I think)
3. Land Lady: "This week's rent is $5."
Cagney: "Stick it on my tab."
Land Lady: "Don't think I won't!"
Cagney: "And don't you think I think you won't" as Eddie Bartlett in Roaring Twenties
4. "I'm always alone when I'm with Matt," as Tom Powers in Public Enemy
5. "Made it, Ma - top o' the world," as Cody Jarrett in White Heat

No comments: