Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Heart Sports

A lot of sports stuff's been going down while I was away, personally I couldn't go past Emmanuel Adebayor's amazing 'something out of nothing' overhead scissor kick. Now Arsenal take on Man U in the semi-finals of Champs League, I maintain my assertion that we can't win anything this year but we will fuck shit up for one or two other contenders.

The NBA play-offs are off to an interesting start, but you somehow get the feeling that when the dust settles on Round 1, there won't be many (if any) surprises. Tough not to predict a Cavs v Lakers Finals series. It's an interesting subplot to see the Celtics go from raging favourites last year, to ailing defending Champs with a distinct underdog flavour. I love rooting for the underdog, so I hope Paul Pierce gets them through a couple of rounds and then KG makes an improbable comeback. But I doubt that will happen.

Philly are the real surprise packet, they look like they might actually challenge The Magic in this series. But in the interest of seeing the cream rise to the top, it would be a bit shit of Orlando got knocked out this early.

The Socceroos are 99.99% qualified for the World Cup after beating Uzbekistan 2-0 at the start of the month. When you think about how difficult it was last time, it's a huge relief to see the confederation switch (from Oceania to Asia) prove to be such a success - especially given that wasn't immediately clear after our underwhelming performance in the Asian Cup in '07.

Anyway, I could go on. For now, the most important thing is that Celtic FC are still on top of the Scottish League. But only just.

Enjoy Adebayor's genius.


No comments: