Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Coolest Motherfucker of All Time?


Miles Davis is just one of those people that you ought to reacquaint yourself with every so often. Whether you prefer Kind Of Blue or you fall more under the Bitches Brew side of the ledger, he's a musical force that needs to be grappled with at some point.

This is a nice article about the man and his genius. I saw a documentary a while ago about the making of Bitches Brew and his set at The Isle of Wight festival in 1970.

I've got to confess, for me the earlier stuff with Coltrane is the best. I like the ideal of Bitches Brew but I've never been able to make myself enjoy listening to it as much as 'So What?' and all the classic material.

Can I appreciate the creative pull that took Miles Davis toward Bitches Brew, thus enjoying that album for non-aural reasons, and meanwhile prefer the sound of the earlier stuff?

I think so. I don't know.

No comments: