Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Politics and Bullshit

I don't know how I feel about this. It's not that I care about Rap music getting treated like the ugly girl at the dance (I'm used to that), it's just that there doesn't seem to be any progression in political attitudes (or, to be more precise, the attitudes of politicians) towards Rap music. It's like Bob Dole and C. Delores Tucker never left the building. Give me something new, you know?

Degrading to women? Obsessed with material wealth? Needlessly aggressive? Promoting violence and drug abuse?

All valid points, I suppose, if you're only scanning convenient political flavours of the month in a tip-of-the-iceberg type of way. It might just be half a convincing argument if Rap music was the only purveyor of these things on the American social landscape.

And why is Obama left holding the bag? Why isn't John McCain getting slammed by questions about the painfully monotonous nature of Appalachian Traditional Music or whatever the fuck style of music his strata of American society is generically tied to?

All Obama has to do is yell, "Man, fuck Don Imus!" every time they ask him these ridiculous questions. Everyone will understand.
Either that or he just has to bust out a freestyle, on topic, about Slick Willy's womanising ways.

Whatever.

In the interest of being positive, I choose to finish this post with an example of what Rap music is all about for me.

No comments: