Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Poker: More Skill Than Chance


This one is for Joey Vegas and The Biz.

Though obviously written from a pro-poker bias, it's an interesting article illustrating why poker ought to be seen as much more than a game of chance.

No fixed disadvantage exists prior to the cards being dealt and the actions or lack of same of the players determines the odds, statistics and chance surrounding any given hand. In other words the house will not take from 6% to 20% of your money given that you play long enough to make those odds apply.

Oh, and the guy in the picture is my man Scotty Nguyen - one of the stars of the world series poker circuit. I don't know enough about poker to say I like his style, but eff it, my girl's surname is Nguyen and that's good enough for me.

No comments: