Monday, July 20, 2009

D.A.D. - Disco Ain't Dead

Before we begin, I just wanna say that if anyone uses the title of this post as inspiration for a Jay Z style 'state of the genre' address, I've got my lawyers on standby. Well, my lawyer. Singular. Although I don't really have a lawyer, per se. There's this one lady who looks over contracts for me when the need arises. But I digress.

Point is, music once universally labeled lame is now cool.

Lead singer Joni Sledge says that people turn to disco when the world is full of bad news, and that right now we want to hear real voices and real tunes again. When the world is burning, the glitterball starts turning.

I always thought people turned to the ever popular drugs and alcohol when the world was full of bad news. Or, you know, just to celebrate some good news. Or, when it's bored and there's no news at all.

I'm not sure it's a matter of seeking solace in good-time tunes when the world's going to Hell in a hand basket. Rather, I think it's a sign that if you keep doing your own thing, you'll end up being popular for a few weeks, as the cool kids hop from trend to trend. Until they end up back at the start, then repeat.

No comments: