Thursday, July 30, 2009

Detroit Red, And The Ongoing Race Issue



When I was a teen, I really got into Malcolm X (as most kids who grew up on Hip Hop did at some stage I would imagine). I read his excellent autobiography at least twice, and was pi$$ed off when my 11th grade English teacher handed my essay on Malcolm X back to me and said he was a 'political thug' (later I came to appreciate what he was trying to do - namely, knock the 'star worship' outta me and get me thinking critically).

As President Obama's popularity rating dips and the race issue starts to dig in, it's good to reflect and remember that race relations are an ongoing dialogue and can probably never be tied up in a neat little package with an Inaugaration Day ribbon on top.

Malcolm x Return from Mecca
by oublierleracismeskyblog

No comments: